Flooding is one of the worst things any homeowner can experience. There are many causes that could lead to your home filling with water, from burst pipes and sewer back-ups to natural disasters like heavy rainstorms or river floods. Whatever the reason, the results are always horrible. Remodeling after a flood comes with a lot of stress of going through all the procedures with the insurance company before they can refund you all the way to the actual remodeling process, which can leave you homeless for weeks or even months.
And even after all that is done, you may find a reminder of the chaos you’ve been through in the form of mold. It might be a long time before the mold finally rears its ugly head and becomes obvious. As soon as it does you have to make sure you remove all the mold as quickly as possible, as mold can spread in a very short amount of time. Removing the mold is never easy, which is why most homeowners look for professional services offered by companies like Emergency Home Solutions. Alternatively, you can try and get rid of mold on your own, as long as you act immediately.
There are a lot of products on the market that guarantee to help you get rid of mold, but some of them like bleach or borax can be equally or more dangerous to your family. However, there are a lot of household items you can use to combat mold like vinegar, baking soda and others listed here: http://www.emergencyhomesolutionsoc.com/mold-removal-orange-county-eco-friendly-options/
Mold needs a damp area to grow. Therefore you have to remove all the moisture to prevent the mold from spreading. Open all the windows and keep the fans running to keep the air flowing. You can even use a dehumidifier to get rid of moisture quickly and more effectively. Once the moisture has been contained, you can get started with the cleaning.
Start with the floors and the walls. Remove the carpet and leave it out to dry, as the sun can help kill any mold particles on it. Use a bleach and water solution to wipe down the walls with a rag. Leave the walls to dry and mop the floor using the same solution. When the surfaces are dry mop them up using a liquid disinfectant mixed with warm water. You may have to do this a couple of times before you see the last of the mold.
To get the mold spores out of your wooden furniture and other surfaces like shelves, tables and desks use a rag soaked in medical alcohol. Before you get to scrubbing test the solution on a small surface to make sure the alcohol does not ruin your finish. When the alcohol dries out spray the surfaces with a disinfectant.
Finally, porous surfaces like fabric or upholstered furniture are also likely to collect mold spores. To get rid of them, wash the fabrics at the highest possible temperature the instructions on the fabric allow. As for the upholstered furniture, take it outside and use a soft brush to brush the fabric. Leave the furniture out in the sun for the whole day, as the sun can help you get rid of the mold spores. After that, spray the furniture with a disinfectant and bring them back inside. Vacuum the furniture to remove any dead spores. If the mold isn’t gone, you have to repeat the